Monday 31 January 2011

Young talent shines out at show

I visited the Interiors 2011 show at the NEC a few days ago - just to see what was new and if there was anything relevant for our Carpetrunners website. Not much joy there but I did come across some fabulous student work, particularly on the newdesignbritain stand, which is a national competition and is judged by a panel drawn from high street names such as Heal's and M&S.

Whilst the Newdesignbritain area seemed rather dull and lifeless, some of the individual work was interesting. I personally liked Jessica Penrose's design in the rug competition area, which treated the rug more like a canvas than a floor covering. 

Design by Elaine Ng Yan Ling
I then came across Elaine Ng Yan Ling's work, which had such fabulous warmth and texture, and which I just loved






For those specifiers and designers looking for innovative surface designs, then Graphic Relief Ltd proved to be a honeypot. The innovative forces are Eric Barrett and Mark Dale, who have come up with a way to manufacture moulds with amazingly fine surface detail, photo quality,which would seem to have a myriad of potential applications.  On the stand the company was demonstrating the technique via a number of large size, decorated concrete panels, including a wonderful detailed image of a face, which caught the light. The applications must be numerous, from large size pictures in feature hallways, through to cladding on external walls.

And finally, Penelope Jordan was exhibiting felt pictures, which she had designed and made by hand.  Mind-bogglingly repetitive, there was something I found mesmerising about them - the perfect distraction for the active mind.  I'm not sure where I'd put one in my home but I wish my dentist would buy one!

No comments:

Post a Comment